Hinkley Point public meeting in Burnham replaced with exhibition
Burnham-on-Sea.com, October 2nd 2008
A public meeting in Burnham-On-Sea to give residents the chance to quiz power bosses about controversial plans to extend Hinkley Point nuclear power station has been cancelled and replaced with a day-long exhibition instead.
Burnham-On-Sea.com first reported last week that a meeting would be held in the town on Thursday October 16th, but British Energy has cancelled the event and is to hold a public exhibition on Thursday 6th November at the Princess Hall between 12 noon and 8pm instead.
Gordon Bell, spokesman for British Energy, told Burnham-On-Sea.com the change comes after last week's potential takeover of British Energy by French firm EDF.
"The public meeting has been cancelled and replaced with an exhibition, but residents will still be able to ask questions - albeit in a different format," he said.
At the exhibition, residents will have the opportunity to see current plans for potential nuclear new build in the Hinkley area, raise any concerns and have their questions answered.
British Energy began its public engagement process in April with a meeting at the Cannington Centre for Land-based Studies which saw over 100 people from the community come to voice their views.
Nigel Cann, station director at British Energy's Hinkley Point B station, pictured, said: "We are very keen to continue the conversation with our neighbours around Hinkley Point in advance of decisions on siting being made or any planning applications being submitted."
British Energy, the UK's main nuclear power generator, was officially bought by French energy group EDF last Wednesday (September 24th) in a £12.4bn deal that is likely to kick-start government plans for a new generation of atomic plants.